from a Daughter
But what if I were single today?" Mother would often add when giving her testimony at deputation meetings. "Could I still say God granted me the desires of my heart?" And she would pause for emphasis. "Yes, I believe I could. For when I truly delight myself in Him, He becomes my desire, and my satisfaction is complete in Him alone."
Mother knew of true satisfaction. Scholastic achievement, human approval, and material gain paled in comparison to the joy radiating through her being. My sisters and I saw her, a genuine human, apologize for her failings, perhaps, yet exult in God's power to overrule them. No one needed to tell us; we could see: a person is truly happiest in the center of God's perfect will. Dreams, interests, and yearnings were eclipsed by her enthrallment with her Saviour.
After thirty years of missionary service, Mother was diagnosed to have stomach cancer, and several months later, she was to gaze into the eyes of Him whom she had loved so intensely. By the time of Mother's Homegoing, my sisters and I had, individually, and at different times in our lives, surrendered our lives fully to God's leading. We were determined to follow in her footsteps, to know for ourselves the same thrill she had known, to say with the same conviction she had:
Psalm 16:11a



<< Home